MOI instructions during Ramadan
* Residents should not rush home for Iftar as this period, before the breaking of the fast, is considered the most vulnerable for traffic accidents during Ramadan. People should are going for Iftar should plan their journey accordingly.
* Vehicles should not be parked in a way that obstructs traffic movement, especially during Taraweeh and Qiyamul Lail prayers or Iftar gatherings.
* While crossing the road, ensure that the roads are completely free from vehicles on both sides, especially during peak hours. Cross roads only through designated crossing areas.
* Avoid last-minute shopping for Ramadan and Eid and finish it early so as to avoid traffic jams. Do not park in no-parking zones.
* Children should strictly be forbidden from playing on roads at night in residential areas as traffic tends to be higher during nights in Ramadan.
Drivers should be extra cautious on roads as children will be walking around residential areas to collect sweets and gifts offered by neighbours during Garangao, the celebrations that take placed on the 15th night of Ramadan.
Protection from food poisoning
* Always check the validity of canned, frozen or preserved foodstuffs and also make sure that there no changes in their smell, color or texture.
* Make sure foodstuff has been kept in a clean and closed place or in the refrigerator; and the place and food are clean and neat whenever you dine out.
Protection from fires in the kitchen
* Ensure that a good fire extinguisher is available at home.
* Throw matches in the dustbin only after ensuring they have been extinguished properly.
* Don’t leave children in the kitchen or near hot and burning materials or electrical power sources.
* Don’t put on flowing dresses or nylon mixed wear in the kitchen in order to avoid catching fire.
* If and when a fire breaks out in the oil pan, avoid pouring water into the pan as it ignites the fire. Cover the burning pan by placing a thick lid on it.
* When a fire breaks out in the trash bin, cover the bin immediately with damp cloth in order to prevent oxygen from igniting the fire.
* Upon smelling gas odour, immediately open all doors and windows.
* In case of gas leak, avoid switching on the exhaust fan for ventilation and don’t switch on lights as they may serve as points of ignition.
* Never use a burning matchstick near a gas cylinder to locate the spot of leakage.
Prevention of begging
Cases of begging should be reported to the Anti-Begging Section at the MoI’s Criminal Investigation Department at 2347444/33618627. Only approved charity organisations are allowed as official agencies in Qatar to help the needy and poor people.
Dealing with emergencies
In case of an emergency, people should immediately call the emergency number — 999. The emergency number for the deaf is 992.