URGENT: MOI issues warning against WhatsApp
The Ministry of Interior (MoI) has warned WhatsApp users in Qatar to be careful and not fall victim to hackers.
Posting an online video, the Ministry said that some users are getting a message from strange numbers with a link named “call.me” or another link “please click the link to see the content”.
If users click on the links, the phone will get hacked and hackers will have access to the user’s contacts.
The hacker will then be able to send messages through WhatsApp groups or any of the user’s contacts through the account.
As such, if users follow a two-step verification, the WhatsApp account will be much safer:
1) Opening “settings” of WhatsApp
2) Opening “account”
3) Tapping on two-step verification
4) Enabling the two-step verification
5) The 6-digit PIN should be entered.
6) An email address has to be added to the account which will be used to reset the PIN.
However, in case any account is hacked, users can get in touch with the Ministry of Interior and call the Combating Electronic Crimes Department.