Will the Qatar-Gulf crisis be solved soon?!
Four neighbouring nations started an illegal siege of Qatar on June 5 and almost six months later, it is still going strong.
During this time frame, Qatar had not spoken one-on-one to any of the nations involved in the siege. However, that may change soon as Kuwait has confirmed that it will go ahead with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit next month, reported Al Jazeera.
The news channel quoted a diplomatic source as saying that the annual meeting will go forward despite the ongoing rift. The invitations to all six member Gulf states have been sent out, with the summit due to be held on December 5 and 6.
Meanwhile, The New Arab cited sources as saying that Saudi Arabia had agreed to attend the GCC summit that ‘will include Qatar.’
Kuwait has been playing a leading role in trying to broker peace between the different entities.
“We’ll continue until we reach a happy end to this unfortunate dispute,” Kuwaiti Deputy Foreign Minister Khalid Al Jarallah had earlier said.
The minister had announced in October that Kuwait was ready to host the next Gulf summit, but doubts remained over whether it would go ahead or not due to the position of the blockading countries.
Two Gulf diplomats also said Kuwait, which had led unsuccessful mediation efforts, would try again to use the meeting to resolve the rift, reported Arab News.
Bahrain had said last month that it will not attend the summit if Qatar does not change its policies and Qatar should have its membership in the six-nation group suspended
Established in 1981, the GCC promotes economic, security, cultural and social cooperation between the six states and holds a summit every year to discuss regional affairs.